And we’re back with a small Project Rx7 update. If you’ve been following our Youtube page, then you’ll already have seen our video about the troubles I’ve been encountering with the 7 as of late.

Let me give you a little context. A couple of weeks ago. Brenden and I pulled the Rx7 into the garage to finish installing the Racing Beat block off plates that came with my full exhaust system I ordered a couple of months back. While we didn’t film the process of installing the plates (as there wouldn’t be much to see anyways), the whole process went really smooth. A true testament to the quality of the RB products.

Part of the installation process was applying some RTV gasket maker, and letting the car sit for 24 hours to let the gasket set. So, we left the car in the garage overnight and decided to pick it back up the next day.

When the next afternoon rolled around, I took a stroll into the garage to back the Rx7 out and park it outside. As I opened the door I noticed the overpowering odor of gasoline. Not good.

I walked around the car, inspecting it, looking of the cause of the smell and when I got to the rear of the car, I discovered it. The old, original tank, that had spent it’s entire life in the rust belt had finally done just that. It rusted out.

Upon removing the tank, and draining it I found the cause of the leak. The outside of the clam shell of the tank, where the two halves were welded together from the factory had finally succumbed to the torment of Indiana roads and winters. I then took it to a local shop to see if they couldn’t repair it and as I had assumed, they couldn’t.

So a few hours of searching on the internet yielded little in the way of replacement tanks. That was, until I came across Atkins Rotary’s website. Luck was finally on my side with one of my projects. They had new old stock Mazda fuel tanks in stock and ready to ship. So after shaking my bank account for all the belly button lint and pennies that it had. There was a new tank on it’s way to my house from Washington.

A few days later, upon it’s arrival. Brad and I busted out the cameras and began filming the process of putting the new tank into the car.

_DSC9011.jpg

Putting the two tanks side to side. It was very easy to see the decrepit state that the factory fuel tank was in. After swapping out the fuel pickup tube, and installing a new fuel level sensor (as the old one was seized into the old tank).  Brenden came over to help me struggle to put the new tank up into the car.

_dsc9012

A few hours later though, all was done and the car was started again and running fine. One thing I’ve learned is, that preventative maintenance shouldn’t be taken lightly with this car. I knew that the tank was having problems, but I put it off, hoping that it wouldn’t become much of a problem and it did. So everything that might need replaced on the car is going to be done.

Enjoy the video we filmed about swapping the tanks out……I know the taco interlude really wasn’t warranted, but I thought it would be funny and sure enough, it is.

Next up though, before our next track day here in a couple of weeks, redoing the brakes. So stay tuned for that.

 

Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in:

WordPress.com Logo

You are commenting using your WordPress.com account. Log Out / Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out / Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out / Change )

Google+ photo

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out / Change )

Connecting to %s